According to the Sikh history the foundation of Harimandir Sahib was laid on the 1st Magh (Punjabi month corresponding to January/February) – 13th January. This collage craft allows you to bring up a few facts that children should be already familiar with through the Gurus Song. It is quite simple and straight-forward, you can make it more complex for older groups by adding more details to the collage.
The brief history and facts on Harimandir Sahib:
- Harimandir Sahib is also known as Darbar Sahib or Golden Temple. It is located in Amritsar, a city that is named after the sarovar/ water tank of the Harimandir Sahib. Amritsar = amrit sarovar = pool of nectar/immortality.
- Guru Ram Das Ji started work on excavation of the Sarovar – link the action from the Gurus Song.
- Guru Arjan Dev Ji built the temple in the middle of the sarovar.
- The first version of the Guru Granth Sahib Ji called Adi Granth was installed in the Harimandir Sahib – link to the action from the Gurus Song again.
- The gold was added few hundred years later by Maharaja Ranjit Singh.
- Harimandir Sahib has 4 doors that shows that person coming from any direction/any walk of life is welcome to enter.
There are a lot of very beautiful images and photographs of the Harimandir Sahib – depending on what is available to you, you could show some pictures or videos to the children.
To make this Harimandir Sahib collage you will need:
- Harimandir Sahib colouring sheet
- blue tissue paper – could have 2-3 different shades of blue
- orange or yellow and blue crayons
- golden paper or card (we’ve used golden wrapping paper)
- golden glitter foam card (optional)
- cotton wool/cotton balls
- Print out Harimandir Sahib colouring sheets.
- Colour the water blue and Harimandir Sahib yellow or orange. Also could colour the sky light blue.
- Cut or rip small strips of blue tissue paper.
- Glue blue strips to create water in the sarovar.
- Cut small pieces of the golden paper or card.
- Glue the on to the second floor of Harimandir Sahib picture.
- Optional step: cut out some fish shapes out of golden card or foam sheets and put the fish in the sarovar. Could use different colours: golden, white, grey etc.
- Finally open up the cotton wool balls and use them to make white clouds in the sky.
Here are two audio stories about later history of Harimandir Sahib from SikhNet stories: